End of tenancy checklist in NZ
You’ve reached the end of the tenancy agreement. Now all that’s left to accomplish, aside from the paperwork, is the end of tenancy cleaning.
When a tenancy ends, the rented property in question should be cleaned out once the tenant moves out. Cleaning can either be done by the tenant or the landlord, depending on what their contract says.
We know cleaning isn’t exactly the most exciting thing to hear, but it must be done for a smooth and hassle-free moving out, both for a landlord and a tenant.
So without further ado, grab your cleaning playlist and your earphones, and let’s blast some tunes while we go over this handy end of tenancy cleaning checklist!
General things to accomplish for all areas of the property:
- Check for nails, screws, or any areas where you drilled or hanged something and seal them
- Deep clean carpets (you can hire a carpet cleaning service for this)
- Dust the cobwebs
- Clean the windows – scrub away fingerprints and other stains, and wash windowsills (make sure to wipe down to prevent streaks once dry)
- Clean and disinfect doorknobs, doors, and other touchpoints
- Check the walls for any signs of water damage and mould
- Clean light switches and check outlets
- Vacuum, polish and sanitize floors
- Dust ceiling, lamp lighting and other fixtures that come with the property
- Dust and polish wardrobes, cupboards, and other storage furniture
- Clean and polish curtain rails
- Remove any signs of mould and mildew, especially on surfaces
- Sweep and vacuum every corner of the room
- Vacuum and dust curtains and blinds
- Mop hardwood floors
- Repaint walls if needed
- Clean metal ornaments and other fixtures in the room
- Dust off the skirting board
- Clean the toilet, sinks, faucets, taps, countertops, and fittings (you can replace the toilet if it’s beyond cleaning)
- Scrub the tub, shower, and bathroom tiles to remove any signs of soap scum and hard water stains
- Clean towel rails
- Remove hair from the shower drainer and sink
- Clean the mirror
- Clean soap dispensers
- Clean exhaust fans
- Scrub and sanitize the toothbrush area
- Scrub and wash countertops and sink
- Clean and degrease the oven – get rid of any deposits inside, and clean the grill pan and racks
- Scrub and degrease gas rings and knobs
- Deep clean the exhaust hood to remove oil marks (also check if the light is working)
- Check for stains, grime, and mould on surfaces near the working/cooking area
- Deep clean the pantry and throw away everything expired
- Clean the dishwasher of dirt, soap and food deposits, stains, and mildew
- Clean the marks on surfaces from your appliances
- Clean and disinfect the exterior of all appliances
- Remove everything inside the cupboards and drawers
- Clean air conditioner and exhaust fans
- Clean and sanitize the trash bins
Living Room and Dining Area
- Polish TV stand, coffee table, shelves, cabinets, end table, and cupboards
- Move furniture and vacuum the area underneath
- Dust chairs, sofas, and other soft furniture
- Clean and organize cables, cords, and other small appliances like the TV remote
- Clean the garage door
- Throw away rubbish
- Dust and vacuum garage surfaces
- Polish away oil and dirt marks
- Mow the lawn
- Remove weeds
- Trim bushes and trees
- Clean paved areas
- Wash the porch and sweep away loose dirt and fallen leaves
- Empty and clean rubbish bins
More helpful reminders for your end of tenancy cleaning checklist in NZ:
- Plan your end of tenancy cleaning ahead. Deep cleaning a property can take time, no matter the size.
- Use a property inventory report as a guide in cleaning and repairing the property. The inventory report lists everything on the property and its condition as seen. It will also come in handy should a dispute between the landlord and tenant occur.
- Tenants should also cancel all services connected to the property, such as the internet plan.
As daunting as it may sound, post-tenancy cleaning is essential to ensure a headache-free moving out and that the property is pristine enough for the next tenant. The state of the property at the end of tenancy will also determine the tenant’s security bond.
The tenant and the landlord can opt to hire a professional cleaning service for the job or do the deep cleaning themselves. If you go for the latter, this end of tenancy cleaning checklist will come in handy!